THE QUEEN’S SPEECH – MAY 2015
Dick Chilblain reports live from Westminster – May 2015
“My previous governments, comprising the Labour, Liberal and Conservative parties have been preparing for the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta. To this end my governments of the last 18 years have: –
- Scrapped legal aid
- Increased court fees tenfold
- Introduced employment tribunal fees causing an 80% reduction in cases
- Heavily restricted Judicial Review
- Allowed non-lawyers to practice law
- Allowed the banks to get away with treason
- Mounted a sustained attack on lawyers and professional people generally
- Introduced damaging and expensive reforms which do not work
- Introduced a further set of damaging and expensive reforms that do not work
- Caused a huge increase in litigants in person clogging up the courts and not getting justice
- Sought to destroy the rule of law
- Acted like a bunch of Nazi yobs towards the legal system.
The fees in my courts are now so expensive that even I cannot afford them and I am the Queen. I am surprised at the tenfold increase in court fees as I spend much of my time giving Royal Assent to endless Bills waffling on about reducing the cost of going to law.
Consequently in exercise of my Royal Prerogative and to celebrate 800 years of Magna Carta I am reversing all of the above changes.
In addition I will never again appoint a Lord Chancellor who is not a lawyer.”